Ingredients (for the chocolate and almond sponge)
- 7 ounces dark chocolate (60-75% cacao), chopped
- 10 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups ground almonds
Ingredients (for the chocolate sauce)
- 200g good-quality dark bitter chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 175ml milk
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 30g caster sugar
- 30g butter, diced
Directions for the chocolate and almond sponge
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler or a saucepan over another saucepan of simmering water. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon coloured. Gradually beat in sugar. Blend in chocolate and almonds.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into chocolate batter.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10 inch Bundt pan or tall springform pan with hole in the middle.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven, invert pan, and cool about 40 minutes before removing from pan.
Directions for the chocolate sauce (while the sponge is cooling down)
- Chop the chocolate and place it in a heatproof bowl. Set over a pan of gently simmering water and allow to melt slowly, stirring occasionally until very smooth. Take off the heat.
- Combine the milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan, stir with a whisk and bring to the boil.
- Still stirring with the whisk, pour the boiling milk mixture onto the melted chocolate, then return the mixture to the pan and let it bubble over the heat for a few seconds, stirring continuously.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the butter, a little at a time, to give a smooth sauce. Pass it through a fine-meshed conical sieve.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the sponge and serve immediately.